How do you make a Beef Stew?


I love beef stew. My mother used to make a fantastic stew, but unfortunately I never got her recipe. And now she’s got dementia I’m never going to get it. So I’m looking for some advice from all you cooks out there. I don’t want a stew with lots of herbs etc. just a basic beef stew. I’ve looked on the internet and I’ve ended up more confused about what ingredients I need and how I should cook it.
  1. What is the right beef to buy? I tried before and whatever cut of beef I bought it was as tough as old boots after I cooked it, even after hours of letting the stew cook and simmer. Whatever meat my mother used in her stews was so tender it would melt in your mouth.
  2. Is there a beef stew mix, do you use tinned or packet soup, or do you make your own?
  3. I know you use onions and carrots, but what other veg is nice in a simple plain stew?
  4. After you put in the water and the mix do you just drop the meat in, or do you prepare it first? If so, what do you do?
  5. Do you put all the ingredients in at the same time, or do you stagger them? Do you put the potatoes in at the same time as the meat, and the veg in at the same time too? This bit confuses me because you can cook veg in a few minutes, potatoes takes longer and meat even longer again. I’m nearly sure my mother just flung the whole lot in together, but I could be wrong


Now I’m not going to be making a stew tonight. I’m going to wait until the cold weather comes, but I want to prepare myself. So if you’ve the time over the next few weeks, could you give me your recipe for cooking a nice plain and simple beef stew, that I could make for a few guests, without wondering if there’s any ingredients they’re allergic to, or don’t like. A beef stew that I know is going to be a success and all I have to worry about is if any of my guests are vegetarians or not LOL

Comments

  1. Honestly I'm lazy as I have 3 kids. I have a slow cooker/crock pot. I buy stew beef with fat throw it in a fry pan med/high heat and brow it with Worcestershire sauce. Then I fry 4 cloves garlic in the pan. I buy packets of spice at the store for slow cooker stews, so I mix it with water and throw it in the frying pan to mix with the juices. I cut up potatoes carrots onion turnip and a little cabbage. Dump the juice on and walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make amazing beef stew - here is my recipe:

    1½ lbs. stewing beef, fat cut off and cut into bite-sized pieces (use more or less beef as desired)
    1/3 cup flour
    1/3 cup margarine or butter
    ½ cup chopped onions
    ¼ cup chopped celery
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    a few cut-up carrots (whatever you like)
    3 potatoes peeled and cut up (or more if you like)
    1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
    2 cups beef broth (canned, or dissolve a couple beef bouillon cubes or packets in water)
    1 bay leaf
    2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

    First, get a medium-sized plastic bag and throw in the flour and cut-up beef. Shake the bag so the beef is coated with flour.

    In a dutch oven, melt the margarine or butter. Add the entire contents of the bag, even the flour that doesn’t stick to the meat. Stir this a few minutes and let the meat brown a bit. Add the onions and stir them and the meat for a couple minutes. If it seems really dry, add a bit more fat. I actually use a metal spatula to stir the stew, because it can catch up all the little bits of stuff that stick to the pan – this is what makes the stew good.

    Then add the tomatoes, beef stock, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce – BUT NOT THE POTATOES YET. The potatoes take less time to cook than carrots, celery and onion.

    Bring the stew to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer on low. Simmer means there are little bubbles breaking the surface gently, not a full rolling boil. Cover the pan, and stir every now and then, being sure to scoop up the bits at the bottom of the pan. They help to thicken the stew. Let it simmer with occasional stirring for about an hour or even 1½ hours. The meat will get tender. Then put in the potatoes and cook for about another 15-20 minutes. Once the potatoes are tender, it’s done.

    It's the only thing I make as well as my late mom did. Enjoy! And by the way, we love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is Mrs Brown coming to Canada?

Mrs Brown's Boys Family Tree - how are the cast related in real life?

Luxury Shed GIVEAWAY!